Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sebastian DeBachracy


What’s different about the rock world now compared to when you were starting out with Skid Row?

Baz: Well, the main difference would be that back then you had to pay for music. But the live experience seems to have taken on an even more important part of rock - because you can’t download a live show. The experience of watching a band perform in front of your face is something you can’t get on the internet.

Angel Down is your first solo album in eight years - did you have a clear idea of what you wanted it to sound like?

Baz: I just wanted to put another album in your iPod, by me, that makes sense next to the other albums. It’s pretty simple. I did an album in 2005 with Frameshift called An Absence Of Empathy, and it was a progressive metal album. So it’s not like I didn’t make an album in eight years, but Angel Down is a lot more what you would expect from me. It’s high energy rock and roll. I’m so proud of it. I think Angel Down is the best record I’ve done since Slave To The Grind, about a million years ago (chuckles). So I’m really, really happy to show the world that I can put out a solo record that kicks ass.

And you got your old friend Axl Rose to sing on Angel Down?

Baz: Yeah, it’s an incredible thing. The world has been waiting for Chinese Democracy for a good 15 years and if you want to get a taste of what Axl actually sounds like as of last year, then get Angel Down because he’s on three songs. He sounds incredible! I just can’t believe that in the history of rock he would choose to collaborate on my album.

“Axl texted me right away and asked if I was joining Velvet Revolver, and I said, ‘No, not that I know of.’”

What have you learned from your friendship with Axl?

Baz: He’s a fascinating individual and he does things a lot differently to what I do. He doesn’t do any interviews at all and I do millions of them. It’s an incredible experience to be talking to him before he goes on stage. I’ll be backstage in his room and he carries on a conversation as we’re walking to the stage. The whole [arena] is going nuts and Axl will be telling me about what he did last night or the day before, and he doesn’t break a stride. I’ll be like, “Well, ok, you’re going on stage now,” and he’ll say, “Ok, I’ll talk to you later.” He’ll walk out there and all of Sydney’s Acer Arena crowd is like, “Ahhh, there he is. Oh, my God!” People can’t believe that he’s actually standing there. It’s such an intense moment every night.

It’s a crazy situation, because he doesn’t show himself to too many people and he’s always been there for me. I think it’s funny that when Scott Weiland left Velvet Revolver, the last thing he said was, “I think Sebastian Bach would be a good choice for you guys.” I think that’s because he’s eluding to the fact that you can’t get away from Guns ‘N Roses. They’re like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. I’m sure he felt frustrated in trying to fill Axl’s shoes. Axl texted me right away and asked if I was joining Velvet Revolver, and I said, “No, not that I know of.” Axl has been so nice to me, I wouldn’t want to do anything to jeopardise our friendship.

I’m in the middle of all these huge rock icons who are calling me at the same time, and I’m sitting there thinking, “How does this f**King happen to me?” Axl said to me, “Dude, the way that you sing is rare.” The way that Axl sings is rare too. There’s not a lot of guys anymore that can sing in the range that we sing in.

Would Axl be unhappy if you were to sing for Velvet Revolver?

Baz: I think it would be awkward. I opened for two Guns ‘N Roses tours. Axl sang on my record and I sing on Chinese Democracy. We’re very close friends. For me to join a band and then sing all of his songs would be kinda weird. But, Angel Down, is what’s in my heart and I can’t wait to get out there and tour it. That’s what I’ll be doing for the foreseeable future.

Source: Metal Sludge

No comments: