Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New Music: Coldplay, Def Leppard


Yeah, I know, Coldplay and Def Leppard in the same sentance? Sue me.

I grabbed the new Coldplay single this morning, and I'm really enjoying it.

If you hate Coldplay for some reason - that's fine - good for you.

If you are a fan - then I'm gonna bet that you're enjoying "Violet Hill" as much as I am.

The band is back to their 2002 A Rush of Blood to the Head form, and although I haven't paid much attention to them in the past few years, I have to say that now I'm pretty excited for their new album.

Sue me.

I know it's never been in vogue to like Coldplay (or Maroon 5, Nickelback, etc.) but I just don't see where all the hate comes from.

Yes, they sound like a less-depressing version of Radiohead. Is that a bad thing?

Personally, I like to think of them as a fusion between U2, Radiohead and Pink Floyd (all bands I enjoy).



As for Def Leppard, well I stopped paying attention to them somewhere between the release of Hysteria and the video debut for "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

That is to say, I WAS A BIG FAN of Def Lep from High and Dry thru Pyromania, those being the first two cassette tapes I ever purchsed.

Those albums really crystalized the '70s-2nd-wave-British-Heavy-Metal sound.

And the man responsible for that sound was none other than "Mutt" Lange.

Also responsible for the sound on AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Back in Black (the twin cousins of High & Dry and Pyromania), Lange is one of the most successful record producers ever.

He was also responsible for Shania Twain, Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, Huey Lewis and the News, Celine Dion, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, Lange was rumored to be involved with the new Leppard project, but it wasn't meant to be (scheduling conflicts - yeah, right).

But still, the hype surrounding Sparkle Lounge was that it was a return to the Mutt Lange sound.

Well, I listened to the "record" twice today and I must say that it sounds a lot like Hysteria.

Now, Lange did produce Hysteria, so technically these claims are based in fact.

Me? I was never a big fan of that album - but if you were - then you might enjoy this new one.

-Mack

No comments: